Sunday, March 14, 2010

Raveling. . .



New idea: since I am eager to sell my knits at The Hodge Podgery, where they encourage recycled and re-purposed items, I decided to shop at a second-hand store for some sweaters to Ravel in order to reuse the yarn.
Shopped at the Community Aid store on Carlisle Pike in Camp Hill.
Bought a 100% Lambswool Anderson-Little sweater with 10 stitches per inch. It's a light tan, saddle-shoulder, raglan sleeve sweater. The seams are chain-sewn, so very easy to undo (Rrrip-it!). The sweater is new enough not to be too felted except in the armpits, so it's raveling quite nicely. There are the occasional breaks, so I just tie a knot and continue to wind the ball. A small amount in the armpits is unsalvageable because of felting.
The V-Neck was steeked, so rather than tie a knot for every row, I just cut down to the the bottom of the V and didn't try to salvage the yarn above that.
It's just the right color for the Capitol Dome hat I designed last year if the yarn isn't too fine.

Cool thought - The care label from the sweater could be sewn into a hat knit with the same yarn. But I probably ought not put the Anderson-Little label into my hat; that might offend their brand.

No comments:

Post a Comment